Destination Sydney, Australia!

My adventure begins:

Arriving at London Gatwick in the early hours of Sunday morning I was overcome with a mixture of emotions. The apprehension experienced in the previous few days when I was uncertain, due to the escalation of the bushfires, about if I could, or should, still travel had now been replaced by excitement and the reality that I was about to travel alone for the first time to Australia. Fortunately, once in the North Terminal, practical Sarah mode kicked in: check in, bag drop, through security and breathe, now I am on holiday! I love travelling. It fills me with a passion that can be all consuming, but which also meant that many of my initial fears and anxieties about doing this alone were quickly dispelled.

On board the first flight, in my favourite window seat, I instantly found myself in movie heaven.  Watching movies that I have missed at the cinema, and discovering new ones is one of the things I love about long haul travel, (as well as the food, especially on Emirates flights).
It

My viewing list included Yesterday, The Poison Rose, Gemini Man, John Wick 3 Parabellum, Where'd You Go Bernadette and Mission Impossible-Fallout. There are so many of my favourite actor's in these films. Anyway, I digress.

Dubai, my first stop for the connecting flight, has for many years been on my travel bucket list and now having a brief experience of the airport, the food and the incredible views flying over this spectacular country before landing, means  it is now up at the top of my visit list.



Arrival in Sydney, and guess what? It's raining! Yes, I took the infamous wet UK weather with me. Just what they need to help with the horrendous bushfires. Although the rain was short lived, the smell of it on the bitumen, frangipani shrubs and trees stirred up memories of living in Australia.

My good friend Carol, who I first met when we signed on together at Alice Springs Hospital in 2008, was waiting for me at Sydney airport, which was amazing because days earlier her route to Sydney was blocked by the smoke and bushfires. I was immediately overcome by a combination of joy, tiredness and happy tears, which quickly transformed into our trademark hysterical laughter before we had even made it to the car park.

Day 1 - Sydney Opera House and Darling Harbour
Totally unprepared, with potentially sore feet and legs tomorrow,  we walked 24300 steps, during 8 hours of exploring this beautiful city, including a visit to the iconic Sydney Opera House.
This city, which has been shrouded in smoke from nearby bushfire's over recent weeks, revealed itself after the brief rainfall, with sunshine and perfect temperatures for my visit.





One of the delights of travel for me is the food, ooh and the wine! Australia is an awesome destination for foodies because of the multicultural cuisine on offer. Today, alongside an array of food enjoyed, the Korean pork in a sticky caramelized onion sauce on a bed of rice at dinner had to be my favourite.





However, my food journey will have to be a story for another day as I have to prepare for day 2 in Sydney and travel onto my next stop - Canberra.

See you there,

Sarah Jane

It's great to share my Australian journeys with you and I would love you to tell me in the comments below where you are from and name some of your favourite travel destinations. Let's share our travel bucket lists!


If you are an aspiring author get a free book from 
The Accidental Author - Sarah Jane Butfield here or at most online bookstores. (Please check it is free before downloading) 
Follow me on  Amazon

Comments

  1. Great to read about your travel and first day Sarah. Can’t wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good journey across. Welcome back, home? Enjoy your memories relived.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John see you on 20th January xx

      Delete
    2. Wine is in the fridge along with the cheese. Kettles on.xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where is Sarah Jane off to now?

Sarah Jane, alias the alternative Cinderella...